2017 marks the 51st year of the Judge Dowd Soccer League
The Judge Dowd Soccer League was created in 1966 and named after my father, Judge Robert G. Dowd, Sr., in recognition of his tireless commitment to youth sports and dedication to helping children, especially those less fortunate both on and off the field. Please see the information about my father along with pictures and stories about the leagues’ early years on this page.
It is a nonprofit all volunteer league whose mission is to provide instruction in the fundamentals and rules of the game of soccer while stressing the importance of sportsmanship and teamwork along with promoting friendly rivalry between our parishes.
Team sports can provide important life lessons which can build positive character traits that will help children beyond the playing field throughout their lives. I want to thank all of the volunteer coaches for your contribution to the league and your parish and for the investment you are making in our youth by giving the gift of your time and talents. It was once said that, “No person stands as tall as one who stoops to help a child.”
To ensure that each season is a positive and enjoyable experience for everyone, it is the responsibility of every coach, parent and player to follow the league rules, comply with the codes of conduct and set an example of sportsmanship at all times.
It has been my privilege to serve as the league commissioner since 1996. Please contact me at the email below with any questions regarding the operation of the league. Thanks for visiting.
About Judge Dowd Sr.
SPORTS RELATED ACHIEVEMENTS
- Coached inner-city youth soccer at Holy Guardian Angel Parish, 1969-1971
- Player and Coach CYC Soccer League
- CYC Board of Directors member for over 20 years, serving as chairman for two years
- Chairman of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Scholar-Athlete Program for over 15 years
- Recipient of CYC Gold Boot Award in 1989 recognizing 50 years of service
- Posthumous inductee into the St. Louis Soccer Hall of Fame in 2001.